Monday, August 11, 2008

SOLDIERS OF FITNESS...WEEK ONE RECAP!

As I sit at my computer I can't help but look at the time, 1:36pm. I have exactly 3 hours before I leave for Soldiers of Fitness Week 2: Day One.

Good news? I made it through Week One.

Bad news? Well, the 'old me' would give you a laundry list of aches, pains and excuses, BUT the 'new me' is saying this is it...don't focus on the pain. You're going to love it.

Ok, so maybe LOVE is too strong a word. How about you're going, you're going to give it your all, and that is THAT!

Before I signed up for SOF I couldn't even imagine the range of emotions I was about to go through. Panic. Frustration. Exhaustion. The night before we started I think I got two hours sleep, MAX. As I tossed and turned in bed all I could think of was...What have I gotten myself into? What will they make us do?.

After the first couple days I would get increasingly nervous as 5:30 approached. I couldn't shake the feeling I know I am not the fastest, I know I have a LONG way to go [before I am GI-Jane], what if I can't keep up? It's amazing how the brain plays tricks on you, Ithink I'm learning the key is to not let it get the best of you.

Last week was absolutely, without a doubt, the TOUGHEST thing I have ever done in my life. Night after night I would come home with barely enough strength to lower myself into the tub; then be faced with the dilemma, HOW am I going to get out!?

The workouts are beyond comprehension. Picture the most you've EVER done at the gym, then multiply it by a thousand. Need a little more insight? How about running for 12 minutes, then pushups done 3 ways, situps, burpees, planks, and Ranger kicks...BEFORE the "mission" even begins. If you're late? Forget it. The "punishment" has already been faced by those who were on time.

Soldiers truly is all about the team.

To be honest, that's a BIG part of how I am getting through this. SOF teaches you to rely on your team beyond anything you'd normally experience in day to day life. If you are slow, they come back for you. If you don't finish your situps, someone faster will finish WITH you. If you want to give up, you're suddenly flanked by strong teammates willing to go the extra mile to ensure you all cross the finish line at the same time.

Total strangers suddenly become your closest allies as you all struggle to win together.

I know it sounds cliche, but it's true. No one gets left behind.

So, I just glanced at the clock. It's 2:06. This took me 30 minutes to type; one third of my workout tonight. I'll leave you with a little exercise. The next time you're driving by Edworthy Park (entrance off Memorial Drive/Shaganappi) look across the bridge and up the hill to the south as far as the eye can see. Off in the distance by the tiny power lines just under the horizon is a house.

This is the house we RAN to on Week One, Day 2.

For fun.

Here's to Week 2...this might not get easier, but I will be stronger!

HUA!

(in case you're curious why soldiers chant this, it's really quite simple: H= Heard, U=Understood and A=Acknowledged)

No comments: